17.11.2020: Fermi surface of nickel
Experimental determination of fermi surfaces as introduced in PEP5/MKEP2.1: de Haas van Alphen and Photoemission experiments.
Aim: (1) Reminding yourself to the experimental methods. (2) Reminder on Fermi surfaces of metals.
- Manuscript I to be discussed: De Haas van Alphen Effect in Nickel: Joseph et al, 1963
- Manuscript II to be discussed: Photoemission spectroscopy in Nickel: Magnussen1999
- Supporting link: Visualizing Fermi surfaces I: http://www.phys.ufl.edu/fermisurface/
- Recommended literature: E.g., Ascroft, Mermin: Solid State Physics (ch. 14 in the Int. Ed. 1972)
- Textbook Patterson (Springer)
- Video from Diamond Light Source about their ARPES facility
- All the backup slides for the tutorial
- Advanced reading: Fermi surface of Cu from quasi-particle interference (STM): Petersen et al 1995
- Advanced reading: Friedel oscillations: Surface states of Cu, Crommie Science 1993
1.12.2020: Peierls instability
Aim: Discussing experimental evidence of Peierls instabiliy and CDW formation.
- Manuscript to be discussed: Wang et al., ACS nano 2020 (in particular experimental data in Figs. 1, 2, 5)
- Textbooks: Patterson, Solid State Physics; Khomskii, Basic aspects of the quantum theory of solids; and many more!
- Link for further reading: Gruener, Review Mod Phys (download repaired)
- Link for further reading: Review paper on Peierls Instability and Charge Density Waves: Pouget 2016
- Non-expert reading: Physics Today 1996
- On the experiment: Nobel prize 1986: Scanning Tunneling Microscope (for ST-Microscopy and ST-Spectroscopy)
- Textbook on Molecular Beam Epitaxy, online access via HEIDI
15.12.2020: Mott-Hubbard gap in NiO
12.1.2021: Spin-charge separation
26.1.2021: Kondo effect in quantum dots
Questions to be addressed in each tutorial session:
- Which experiment has been done? What is the experimental set-up, how does it work?
- What can be learnt from this experiment in general? How do the results look like in general, let's say on the textbook-level?
- What are the results in this particular case?
- How to analyze/interpret the results?
- What can be extracted for the general understanding of this material?
- Any other related question which you may find interesting.