To be discussed at:
24.10.2013: Transmission Electron Microscopy
- Manuscript: Zhu et al, Nature 2012: Bonding and structure of a reconstructed (001) surface of SrTiO3 from TEM. In addition: Supplement to the manuscript.
- Background information: Nobel prize 1986
- Link: Tutorial TEM, U Liverpool
- Advanced literature: Fultz, Howe: TEM and Diffractometry. Chapter 2: The TEM and its optics (online via HEIDI). Chapter 10: High-Resolution TEM Imaging (online via HEIDI).
31.10.2013: Scannig Tunneling Microscopy
- Manuscript: Hong et al, Scienctific Reports 2012: Room-temperature Magnetic Ordering in Functionalized Graphene. In addition: Supplement to the manuscript.
07.11.2013: Atomic Force Microscopy
- Manuscript: Pielmeier et al, Physics Review Letters 2013: Spin Resolution and Evidence for Superexchange on NiO(001) Observed by Force Microscopy.
- Application of AFM: atom manipulation, carbon nanotube tip, nanobiotechnology.
14.11.2013: Photoemission Spectroscopy on Nanoparticles
- Manuscript: Gantefoer et al., Chemical Physics Letters 1994: Shell structure and s-p hybridization in small aluminium clusters.
- Advanced literature: Reinert et al., New Journal of Physics 2005: Photoemission Spectroscopy-from early days to recent applications. Cha et al., Rev. Sci. Inst. 1992: New experimental setup for photoelectron spectroscopy on cluster anions.
21.11.2013: Size dependent melting temeprature on small particles
- Manuscript: Lai et al., Physical Review Letters 1996: Size-Dependent Melting Properties of Small Tin Particles: Nanocalorimetric Measurements.
- Nanocalorimetry: Lai et al., Applied Physics Letters 1995: Highspeed scanning microcalorimetry with monolayer sensitivity.
28.11.2013: Gecko effect
- Manuscript: Tian et al., Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 2006: Adhesion and friction in gecko toe attachment and detachment.
- Suggested theory paper: Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter 2007: large invisible cables and self-cleaning relasable superadhesive materials.
05.12.2013: Reduced Metallic Property of Small Clusters
- Manuscript: Zhang et al., Nano Letters 2003: Redcued Metallic Properties of Ligand-Stabilized Small Metal Clusters.
12.12.2013: Fluxionality of Nanocrystals
- Manuscript: Pennycook et al, Nano Letters 2012: Dynamic Fluctuations in Ultrasmall Nanocrystals Induce White Light Emission. In addition: Supplement to the manuscript, and Supplemental video.
19.12.2013: Surface Plasmon Resonance in Nanoparticles
- Manuscript: Jensen et al., Journal of Physical Chemistry B 2000: Nanosphere Lithography: Tunable Localized Surface Plasmon Resonance Spectra of Silver Nanoparticles.
- Advanced literature: Haes et al., MRS Bulletin 2005: Plasmonic Materials for Surface-Enhanced Sensing and Spectroscopy. Jin et al., Nature 2003: Controlling anisotropic nanoparticle growth through plasmon excitation.
09.01.2014: Magnetic Nanoparticles I
- Manuscript: Pankhurst et al., J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys. 2003: Applications of magnetic nanoparticles in biomedicine. up to 4. Drug delivery.
16.01.2014: Magnetic Nanoparticles II
- Manuscript: Pankhurst et al., J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys. 2003: Applications of magnetic nanoparticles in biomedicine. Rest of the paper.
- Manuscript: Curl et al., Science 1988: Probing C60.
- Additional literature: Kroto et al., Nature 1985: C60: Buckminsterfullerene.
Questions to be addressed in each tutorial session:
- Which experiment has been done? What is the experimental set-up, how does it work?
- What can be learnt from this experiment in general? How do the results would look like if everything was 'perfect', let's say in a sketch on the textbook-level?
- What are the results in this particular case?
- How to analyze/interpret the results?
- What can be extracted for the general understanding of this effect/material/etc?
- Any other related question which you may find interesting.